[Twisted-Python] Twisted.pim

Kevin Turner acapnotic at twistedmatrix.com
Thu Jul 5 23:19:02 EDT 2001

On Wed, Jul 04, 2001 at 02:21:42PM -0400, Chris Armstrong wrote:
> On Wed, Jul 04, 2001 at 10:43:42AM -0700, Kevin Turner wrote:
> > Please look at Evolution too.  I'm sure you can find something to
> > not like about it, but there's been a lot of sweat put into it, so
> > you should at least be able to learn something from their efforts.
>
> The biggest problem with Evolution (or anything) is that it's not
> Twisted enough.

Oh, as I said, I have no doubt that there are problems, from biggest to
littlest.  I was merely suggesting the possibility that they might have
got something *right* too -- and if so, that's good information to have
when you're setting out to achieve something with many of the same
goals.  I don't think it hurts to know what the wheel looks like before
you reinvent it.

> > Now, forget I said that phase, because it doesn't mean much. ;) I
> > just raise a few more questions:  What if the resource you are
> > working on is not an emacs buffer, but an Excel spreadsheet?  Can
> > you incorporate resources into this system that you, the Twisted.pim
> > designer, did not anticipate the existance of?

> If you want to make a new type of information, make a new subclass
> of the base InfoData class. [...] The "integration" he's talking
> of isn't at the UI level, it's at the base. In other words, our
> integration isn't the same integration that Desktop Environments
> are going after -- Look&Feel integration.  We're going for data
> that will be integrated.

This is why I told you to forget I said the "d. e." phrase =)
I think you underestimate miguel's ambition -- Twisted folks aren't the
only ones trying to take over the world. ;)   Having a cohesive
environment does not just mean that the dialog boxes all look similar
and the context-sensitive pop-ups feel the same, you also need to be
able to incorporate the product of one application into another -- e.g.
your plotter into your spreadsheet, your spreadsheet into your marketing
document, your documents into your conferences and presentations.  You
have not convinced me that this is different from your "data
integration".

[ http://www.ximian.com/tech/bonobo.php3           ]
[ The "why corba sucks" flamewar may now commence. ]
[ Feel free to understand a "How little Acap understands things" flame
too ;) ]

> > Now, we all know that since PB is being published under the Twisted
> > label, it's got to be the greatest thing since spreadable cheese.  But
> > even so, but I'd sleep better at night if I read a memo comparing its
> > suitability for "Integration." to [...] corba [etc...].

(The following is me paraphrasing radix, not quite his original words:)
} PB has nothing to do with integration between the PIM components.
} That will be done by our /imaginary/ [emphasis mine ;) ] 'associator'
} module.  PB will just serve as the portocol for [remote] access to the
} information.

See issue my #2 in my other post from today,
<20010705201609.A3233 at troglodyte.menefee>

Cheers,

  - Acapnotic
 (Kevin Turner)