[Twisted-Python] vfs-draft

benjamin bruheim grolgh at online.no
Mon Jul 2 01:39:33 MDT 2001

Hepp, ramblings coming up.

while working on twisted.ftp I had to add a system to virtualize the dirs, so
I began to outline a vfs of some kind. it does not deal with direct
interaction with files, but rather lists them and so on. There's plenty of
design issues left, but since I'm not that self-confidient on how to work this
thing out, I felt like letting you have a peek on the idea as it is now.

Radix suggested it could be used to provide a user-space which is seperated
from the OS.

It's a short test, and it uses authenticator. To test it, you need to rewrite
the paths heavily. you guys can handle that ;) The example-code is at the
bottom.

There's loads of comments up front, but many of those are not longer valid.
The part which creates most problem is the 'userFileSystem' atm.

See for yourself:
http://www.twistedmatrix.com/users/phed/vfs.py

Feedback, and give your opinions!
And when the filesystem is done, I have some suggested projects of extra
FileSystems as 'archiveFileSystem' (as in .zip-files), 'configFileSystem' and
'emailattachmentFileSystem'. ;) (Sure...)

benjamin
http://mp3.com/benjamin