[Twisted-Python] Reality Servers

Glyph Lefkowitz glyph at twistedmatrix.com
Thu Aug 16 22:16:47 EDT 2001

On Mon, 13 Aug 2001, Chris Hadgis wrote:

[snip]

> By the way, your suggestion of changing "reality" to "twisted.reality" when
> running faucet did the trick. I can now proceed through the game via the tk
> interface. How does this mesh with the web browser interface? Or is it
> something separate?

The web browser interface is still proof-of-concept.  There is no way to
interact with the game using actions; keepalive HTTP connections and
other such nightmares prevented me from doing so.  It'll probably
eventually be most useful as an authoring interface.

> > > Does anyone know the status of reality servers?
> >
> > What do you mean by Status?
>
> Is anyone actively working on them? Are there any long-range plans for them?

Not "actively", although I use the Reality service as a testing ground for
most of my changes, since it is a simple and typical application of the
Twisted framework.  So, it remains up to date but does not accumulate any
significant new functionality over time.  Unless, of course, some
enterprising hacker were to come along and contribute some... :-)

> I think I asked before if they were supposed to be like TADS
> interpreters or Z-machines, or are they to be something different.

It inherits much from that culture, but it's designed to be an online
environment as well as single-player, and the single-player component runs
mostly in realtime (but can optionally be turn-based).  So I'd have to say
it's something different, and I don't know of any similiar projects.

> It's going to take some time to go through the various modules and
> find out how they fit together, and how the reality server interprets
> and processes sentences. If there are docs on how to create a reality
> world they would be helpful.

Most of the documentation for Twisted Reality was written several years
ago, and referred to the Java version of TR.  It is obviously no longer
accurate or relevant :).  Documentation is a known sore point and you're
encouraged to document your experiences; keep in mind that asking
questions on the mailing list means that at least we'll have somewhere to
refer other people asking the same questions to, so it does help!

                     @ t w i s t e d m a t r i x  . c o m
                     http://twistedmatrix.com/users/glyph