[Twisted-Python] Working with Reality

Chris Hadgis chrish at mincom.com
Thu Aug 9 01:40:47 EDT 2001

I loaded Twisted-0.9.5 on my Win98 machine yesterday.

The instructions in the readme files for the inheritance and trdemo worlds
were very good. I built both worlds and was able to run them successfully -
up to a point.

I was able to use the same DOS session up to and including the instrucition
to run twistd with the reality.tap. At this point I opened up Internet
Explorer, went to \\localhost\8080, and saw the login screen. After entering
the username and password I was able to navigate around both worlds okay.
The problem came with running faucet. I could not get faucet to communicate
with twistd or Internet Explorer. I *think* faucet is where the player would
be able to enter commands for the game. I saw some of the other comments on
the list earlier re: Windows and its lack of a fork() call, and I suspect
this is the problem. If Twisted is to become portable across platforms, then
this problem will need to be addressed at some stage.

I really would like to help with the reality part of the Twisted project,
but unless I get access to a Unix OS or Twisted works 100% under Windows, I
don't know how much I can do :( I am still keen to hear what visions the
original reality developers had (or have) for the future.

Cheers,
ChrisH

information.  If you have received this transmission in error, please
delete it and notify the sender.  The contents of this e-mail are the
opinion of the writer only and are not endorsed by the Mincom Group
of companies unless expressly stated otherwise.