[Twisted-Python] fwd: Re: [Python-Dev] Zope porting to jython

Moshe Zadka m at moshez.org
Tue Aug 7 13:15:17 EDT 2001

Other then the interesting thread, note the description of
the way Zope does "safe python".
Glyph, should I start adding Depends: python-bytecodehacks? ;-)

To: "Samuele Pedroni" <pedroni at inf.ethz.ch>
From: Jeremy Hylton <jeremy at zope.com>
Cc: <python-dev at python.org>
Subject: Re: [Python-Dev] Zope porting to jython

  SP> my personal position is to help them as all other jython users,
  SP> fixing incompatibilities with CPython and answering to
  SP> questions. Nothing special. I can imagine that one of the big
  SP> problem could be restricted execution (if Zope uses that),
  SP> admitted that any C code functionality can be rewritten in Java.

Zope doesn't use restricted execution.  In Zope 2.4, the
RestrictedPython project uses the compiler package to generate safe
bytecode from Python source code.  I presume something similar could
be achieved using jythonc, but don't know how hard that would be.

  SP> If the PythonLabs have an "official" position/opinion on this
  SP> and in particular on the last quite speculative message (from
  SP> Joseph Grace) in the thread, they may post something. I can say
  SP> something about technical aspects, but I don't feel that I
  SP> should channel/or invent PythonLabs opinions.

I don't think there's an official PythonLabs opinion on this in
general.  If we have one its this:

The project(s) -- including the just announced phabric
effort -- are worthwhile.  We are happy to give advice and make
changes to help the projects where we can.  I expect the same holds
true for the rest of Zope Corp.

If there are genuine CPython/Jython incompatibilities that hinder the
project, there's no reason not to fix them.  The project may also
serve as a vehicle to further explore what metaobject protocols should
be exported by Jython.

Jeremy

Moshe Zadka - http://moshez.geek
(if you're not cool, http://moshez.org is still working)