[Twisted-Python] Napkin on the Web

Kevin Turner acapnotic at twistedmatrix.com
Mon Aug 6 04:39:01 EDT 2001

On Sun, Aug 05, 2001 at 02:24:52PM -0700, Kevin Turner wrote:
> Napkin is a whiteboard service over PB.  The server is nominally
> functional, and [...]

and now there's a twisted.web.Resource napkin viewer, which relies on a
PIL renderer.  These modules (napkin.webkin and napkin.pil_viewer) are
really much cleaner than the pygame_client is at the moment, so if
you're interested in writing a napkin client, look there.  Many of the
finer details aren't implemented, but the bulk of it is there.

However, the pygame_client is still the only thing available you can use
to *draw* on the napkin, aside from typing in commands to send blots
across the wire yourself.  I'll likely try to clean up this code, but
I'm not sure how far it will advance, due to a couple reasons.  One
being that if it's going to get a UI, I'd like a toolkit (roll-your-own
pygame widget set just isn't as fun as it used to be), and pyui says it
requires Python 2.1.  Another point is that some of the drawing
functions I want (e.g. ellipse) aren't available in the current pygame
release 1.1, but are in pygame CVS, so it might be better to wait for a
release there.

It would probably make a lot of sense to write a napkin client on a
canvas widget like Tk's or gnome's...

> You can ooggle the code at ~acapnotic/src/napkin or
> http://twistedmatrix.com/users/acapnotic/src/napkin/

There may be a napkin server running on twistedmatrix.com as well,
and a viewer to that server at
http://twistedmatrix.com/users/acapnotic.twistd/napkin

--
I would have called it "BackOfAnEnvelope", but it seemed a bit unwieldy.