[Twisted-Python] Hip-bone's connected to the...

Kevin Turner acapnotic at twistedmatrix.com
Fri Aug 3 15:23:06 EDT 2001

On Fri, Aug 03, 2001 at 01:05:56PM -0500, Glyph Lefkowitz wrote:
> On Thu, 2 Aug 2001, Kevin Turner wrote:
> > Application (twisted.internet.main.Application):
>
> You may want to add the fact that they'll often have a Delayed as well.

Yeah, I noticed that, but left it out for the first pass as it wasn't
necessary to get the network connection up and running...

> > Service (twisted.spread.pb.Service)
>
> Might want to be a little clearer about the service doing the
> authentication here...

That sounds like an excellent idea.  However, it's an area I remain
entirely ignorant of...

> > Perspective (twisted.spread.pb.Perspective)
>
> Also don't talk so much about "client" and "server" when referring to the
> perspective; this is objects-to-objects.

Well, I've got to have some terms other than "this" and "that" to keep
straight what I'm talking about.  Would you rather I called them "Alice"
and "Bob"?

Besides, if we are talking about this in the context of Services, (which
we are, as that text isn't general enough to be used as all-purpose
docstrings) I would think it makes sense to refer to one side as a
server, does it not?

> > Note: Since all commands over the broker happen asynchronously, the
> > client cannot receive return values from a perspective_foo() method.
>
> Yes it can, actually.  If you pass a keyword parameter 'pbcallback', that
> callback will be invoked on the client when the return value is
> received.

And "The callback will be called with a single argument, the return
value."

> > How does error notification work?
>
> Similiarly to return-value notification.
>
>   myReference.do(arg,arg,pbcallback=myCallback, pberrback=myErrorCallback)
>
> All you get as an argument to the error callback is is a traceback or
> error message string though.

This means including the pberrback parameter on every call?  What
happens if you don't?  Is there a catch-all error handler you can set?
Why the sometimes strings/sometimes traceback inconsistancy?

> > What naming conventions should application authors use?
>
> Just stick to the Twisted coding standard and you'll be fine.

CodingStandard.html does not have the adverb prefixes like perspective_,
remote_, etc.

> Cached is interesting, but complex and you'll know if you need it.

Yeah, """It's like a Copy, but way, *WAY* worse!"""

> I'd highly encourage you to write some code though :)

ah'm workin on that =)