[Twisted-Python] And Now I Eat humble.py

Glyph Lefkowitz glyph at twistedmatrix.com
Wed Apr 11 09:50:05 MDT 2001

Well, the "Super-Duper It-Can't-Break
No-Really-It's-Not-Like-The-Java-Version-I-Swear" version of containment in
Twisted Reality broke rather nastily after dash sent out his update email
regarding the demo.  I *think* I've got it mostly fixed now... at least, a
nastily contrived, pathological unit test passes, and it appears to do the
correct thing interactively.  It doesn't try to keep track of nearly so much
stuff now, so even if it does break, it's likely that the breakage will be in
event updates and not the actual structure of the game.

Curiously enough, all this stuff broke when we introduced a certain
mechanical cockroach into the demo world...

In other news, I've ported the old Java Faucet to Jython (only works on
2.1a1, since previous versions of jython don't implement getattr properly!!),
which means that the faucet is runnable with a nice gui on MacOS X now.  The
other important note is that since Gloop now works on Jython, it is possible
to hook arbitrary Java programs and libraries into a Gloop distributed
network (this turned out to be very simple, actually).  The possibilities of
this are left as an exercise for the reader.

Currently, I'm adding features to the demo -- testing guest login -- and
taking some screenshots of various GUI things.  The way things are going at
this point, I think the next release (after the demo is done) should be
0.9.0; post that, (after carmstro's config interface is done, and hopefully
Inheritance) we should move on to 0.99.0 and concentrate mainly on writing
tests... once we've tested every module, 1.0.

This concludes this morning's State of the Matrix Address :)

--