[Reality] speaking/listening interfaces

Chris Armstrong reality@twistedmatrix.com
Sun, 14 Sep 2003 01:43:48 -0400

On Sat, Sep 13, 2003 at 10:16:47PM -0700, Eric Wong wrote:
> On Sat, Sep 13, 2003 at 12:01:30AM -0400, Chris Armstrong wrote:
>
> > Why is Listening an Action?
>
> I figured it'd be nice to let people design ear muffs or something
> to ignore people.  Also, it allows for the possibility that other
> object/NPC's the ability to listen to things being said in a room --
> a microphone or bug or a door that opens when someone says "Open Sesame".

Yes, these are good, but it still doesn't make sense to make Listening an
_Action_ -- there should be an IEventListener for audio events. This means
anything that implements it will receive audio events. Players would
implement it (ear muffs could turn it off), and microphones would as well.

---------+     http://twistedmatrix.com/users/radix.twistd/