[Reality] getting started?

Glyph Lefkowitz reality@twistedmatrix.com
Mon, 25 Aug 2003 14:13:12 -0500

On Sunday, August 24, 2003, at 04:08 PM, Christopher Armstrong wrote:

> This is the _whole point_ of adapters -- separating concerns so you
> don't need to modify the original object to add functionality to it.

It might not be obvious why this is a good idea if you're coming from
elsewhere :).  The systems we've currently got in the NewReality module
are pretty thin.  Our goal is to expand them in flexibility (and
therefore complexity) as much as we possibly can.  Eventually, you
should be able to create a nylon rope which can be tied in a knot, tied
to other objects, thrown out the side of a building, climbed up,
climbed down, attached to a grappling hook and thrown, stretched,
broken, cut, burned, used as a fuse on an explosive device, bitten
through, eaten, digested by appropriately engineered animals and later
excreted as crude oil and/or fissionable uranium.  Each of these
different actions is a small system which has to be independently coded
- and remember, we're just talking about rope, there!  The more
separate that we can keep the systems (for example, the burning system
should not need to know about climbing, even though the rope can be
used for both of these), the easier it will be to keep a manageable
amount of complexity in each module but still get a very flexible end
result.