[Reality] Re: [Twisted-Python] Reality and global Thing tables

reality@twistedmatrix.com reality@twistedmatrix.com
Thu, 23 May 2002 22:47:37 -0400 (EDT)

For the benefit of the list, personal correspondance tonight on IRC:

<exarkun> glyph: Am I to take it that you do not object to such tables of
which I spoke, as long as they are hidden behind an elegant and well
designed API that prevents developers from injuring themselves in fits of
stupidity and/or laziness?

<exarkun> (And potentially allows distribution and other nifty features)

<glyph> exarkun: Are you logging this?  If you like my response, you
should post this log to one or both lists :)

* exarkun starts logging this.

<glyph> exarkun: It depends.  Are you talking about a table of
*everything*, or of *unique* things?

<exarkun> glyph: Mainly a table of unique instances.  If we look at the
cellphone example, each instance is unique inasmuch as it has a phone
number that no other phone has.  If we look at blades of grass, I see no
point whatsoever in keeping a list of the 366,238 different blades that
occupy my front yard, regardless of their possibly differences.

<glyph> exarkun: Basically, i think that the same rules should be followed
for unique objects as for URIs

<exarkun> glyph: something along the lines of
someQueryFunc("reality://objects/instances/phones/867-5309").addCallbacks(foundPhone,
phoneFindFailed)?  Or ... ?

<glyph> exarkun: Yes.

<glyph> exarkun: more like "../instances/phones/" more likely :)

<exarkun> hmmm

<glyph> exarkun: unless you have an absolute URI

<exarkun> I see the advantages

<exarkun> And no disadvantages yet

<glyph> reality://reality.twistedmatrix.com/objects/phones/867-5309 ...

<glyph> or BETTER YET

<radix> you still pretty much have a bunch of GID lists, but each object
type registers itself?

<glyph> http://www.twistedmatrix.com/reality/objects/phones/864-5309

<exarkun> mmmh :)

<exarkun> Well that's cool, then.

- ---

  So this is basically a much more general and well thought out mechanism
than my puny "getPhone()" et al. ideas.  I like.  Now I need to actually
get some time to dig into Reality and do some of this.

 Jp

A sad spectacle.  If they be inhabited, what a scope for misery and folly.
If they be not inhabited, what a waste of space.
                -- Thomas Carlyle, looking at the stars
- --
 10:39pm up 2 days, 23:18, 0 users, load average: 0.09, 0.09, 0.02