[Reality] Hello, Sailor.

Glyph Lefkowitz glyph@twistedmatrix.com
Fri, 8 Dec 2000 19:06:07 -0500 (EST)

On Fri, 8 Dec 2000, James Knight wrote:

> Hey that stuff is really cool. :)

Glad you're still reading / you still care / it doesn't suck :)

> I dunno how to login with the multiplayer server though. The
> documentation-mentioned username/password doesn't actually work and
> I'm too unfamiliar with it all to figure out how to frob the password
> field in the mapfile to a encoded version of a password known to me.

Oops.  The documentation should be updated to note that it's "admin", not
"Admin".  The encoded password is just md5 hashed, so
'md5.new('Foobar').digest()' will get you what you want.

> Also I'm kinda boggled at the number of different format transitions
> the mapfile goes through before being able to be loaded by the
> server. I get the difference between source and runnable binary but I
> don't understand how the spl stuff is useful.

OK; so you generate the map based off of the source code, then you
generate a saved *server set* based on that map.  When I say "set", you
should note that this includes a webserver.  All 'Serve.py' does is load
up a pickle and call '.run()' on the object returned.  The characters in
your multiplayer game can configure the webserver.  The .rpl is just a
map, the .spl is a set of servers, one of which happens to include map.
Eventually this distinction will be moot when Kimchi gets to a really
usable state (and we have enough state in the world to justify using it)

> The amount of functionality available in those packages with the
> amount of code there is really impressive though.

Again, glad you appreciate it.  We (william short and I) are currently
working on a transition from the verb_/ability_ system to something
slightly more abstract, involving requests for actions from the players.
Work is being kinda busy right now, so I don't know when I'm going to get
to finishing it.

> Damn I gotta learn python sometime. :)

Everybody should. :)