|Version 1 (modified by moonfallen, 8 years ago) (diff)|
Some requirements must be met to build the "Official" win32 Twisted. The Official build produces two files with the following features:
- One of the builds is for Python 2.5, the other is for Python 2.4.
- There is a shortcut in the start menu for the Twisted Command Prompt which is a standard Windows command prompt with PATH and environment variables set up to invoke the Twisted commands the same way you would on Unix; e.g. "mktap".
There are two ways to get Twisted installed from source. One is to do the bare minimum necessary so that 'import twisted' works; the other is the Official method.
This method is only necessary if you are trying to install Twisted from e.g. the Subversion repository, and you don't want to acquire all the tools necessary to do the Official build.
- Install either Python 2.4 or Python 2.5
- Install ZopeInterface 3.3.0 or later for Python
- With MSVC *
Without Cygwin installed, you need MSVC installed for the cl.exe compiler, which is the default on windows. Just issue the command: $ python setup.py install
- With Cygwin *
With Cygwin installed, you need to make sure these two packages are installed:
You also need libpython22.a (or libpython23.a as appropriate). Instructions can be found at http://sebsauvage.net/python/mingw.html .
Once that's done, just issue the command:
$ python setup.py build --compiler=mingw32 install
If for some reason extensions won't build, try this instead:
$ python setup.py build_py build_scripts install --skip-build
The Official Twisted is built with native Python 2.3 (latest), not the Cygwin version of Python, however it is built with the help of Cygwin packages.
- Python 2.3 AND Python 2.4 *
You need both.
- ZopeInterface 3.0.1
Download and install it for both versions of Python.
- A-A-P *
This is what actually does the building. http://www.a-a-p.org/download.html After installing it, make sure the file aap.bat is in your system PATH, using (for example) the environment variable applet.
- winreg *
You need this little module: http://www.rutherfurd.net/python/winreg/ # FIXME -- make aap fetch it
- Cygwin *
You will need Cygwin, with the gcc-mingw package installed. Get Cygwin at:
DO NOT INSTALL CYGWIN PYTHON! DO NOT INSTALL CYGWIN PYTHON! (Install Native Windows Python.)
- Inno Setup *
This creates nice self-installers with uninstall functionality: http://www.jrsoftware.org/isinfo.php You need version 4.0.8 or above. (5.0.8 or later preferred.)
- Bootstrap Twisted *
You will need an existing installation of Twisted, as the build script uses some utilities within Twisted. The "bare minimum" install described above will suffice.
- Issue the build command *
Bring up a Cygwin prompt. Change directories to the root of your Twisted source tree. It should contain the directory "win32/". Now run the following:
$ aap.bat -f win32/build.aap
The four distributable files will be in dist/ when this is done.
If you have trouble building the official build, try the following:
- Remove "C:\winnt\aap.bat" or "C:\windows\aap.bat" which will have incorrect contents.
- Make sure that your system PATH includes C:\Program Files\AAP\Exec
- Make sure your cygwin .bash_profile isn't clobbering this system PATH
- Make sure you don't have Cygwin's Python package installed.
- Make sure both Python 2.3 and Python 2.4 are installed.
- If you're doing an official release, see maintainer-notes.txt.