|Version 8 (modified by jml, 5 years ago) (diff)|
This document is a draft
How to do a pre-release
- File a ticket (e.g. #4290)
- Check buildbot to make sure all supported platforms are green (wait for pending builds if necessary).
- Make a branch (e.g. mkbranch Twisted release-4290)
- Run ./bin/admin/change-versions XX.YY.ZZpreN
- Commit the changes made by change-versions
- Run ./bin/admin/build-news .
- Commit the changes made by build-news
- Make a temporary directory for the tarballs to live in (e.g. mkdir /tmp/twisted-release)
- Run ./bin/admin/build-tarballs . /tmp/twisted-release/
- Upload the tarballs to a public website
- Announce the pre-release on
- the twisted-python mailing list
- on IRC in the #twisted topic
- in a blog post, ideally labs.twistedmatrix.com
- How do I decide the version number?
- Do we need to commit the changes from build-news for pre-releases?
- They leave the pre-release version in the NEWS files when doing pre-releases
- But build-tarballs won't work with uncommitted changes
- How do we manage the case where there are untested builds in trunk?
- How/when in this process are the Windows installers and/or MacOS .dmg files created?
- (I presume .deb and .rpm packages are left up to Linux distro packagers)
- How/when in this process are the docs built?
- When should the front page of the wiki be updated?
- Test change-versions with pre-releases
- There should be a template for release announcements
- Pre-release announcements should include an exhortation to test
- Release announcements should include actual NEWS summaries and maybe a pointer to the full thing
- There are missing scripts:
- for uploading pre-release tarballs
- for signing tarballs
- for uploading release tarballs
Suggestions for additions to pre-release steps
- pick a release quote :)
- bump copyrights in LICENSE and README