Version 2 (modified by exarkun, 13 months ago)
- Deploy to new tummy machine (ASAP)
- Cube (hosting most current infrastructure) will be desupported in the immediate future.
- New-Cube is up, has more modern OS, faster hardware.
- Services need to be migrated. Incomplete list:
- frontend website
- mail system
- user accounts
- Tickets already in review before
- Many tickets have had some work done on them but have not yet been completed. These tickets represent a large amount of invested effort that has yet not yielded any benefits.
- As such, completing them may result in proportionally more return for effort.
- Some judgement needs to be applied in selecting tickets from this category. Just because effort has been invested does not necessarily mean the tickets are particularly valuable to resolve.
- Some tickets are stalled or abandoned because they are really, really hard (and so probably require lots and lots more effort)
- A trac report will produce a list of tickets in this category - https://twistedmatrix.com/trac/report/16
- Deferred cancellation
- Ultimately the vast majority of Twisted-provided APIs that return a Deferred should implement cancellation logic rather than relying on the fallback behavior provided by Deferred itself.
- This is a very large number of mostly small, self-contained tasks.
- Potentially a GSoC project or OPW project instead of a Fellowship project (lends itself well to beginners)
- Most tickets for this work have not yet been created
- Attempt trac upgrade in a way that allows switching back to current version
- Basically, set up a testing deployment/environment where trac changes can be tested before going live
- Support for non-OpenSSL SSL libraries
- API replacement for twisted.internet.ssl Certificate APIs, and transport layer implementation
- Alternative backends include win32 APIs, OS X SecureTransport (aka libsecurityssl?) and the cross-platform libnss3 (Mozilla).
- A good starting point would be a API specification, that at minimum includes current functionality.
- twist: command-line without daemonization
- import krondo tutorial into twisted (if davep agrees), update to newer code
- lore/sphinx migration work
- explore a lore output plugin that generates sphinx output via docutils parse tree objects - use docutils and sphinx as libraries
- avoids single cut-over event
- explore a lore output plugin that generates ReST via docutils parse tree objects
- still involves single cut-over event, but maybe produces better output than previous attempts
Download in other formats: