|Version 7 (modified by 3 years ago) (diff),|
Contributing To Twisted (DRAFT)
This is a one page summary of the ways that you or your organization can contribute to Twisted.
This is a draft document which is intended to eventually replace wiki:ContributingToTwistedLabs.
There are many ways individuals and organizations can make contributions to Twisted.
Many open source projects are perpetually crunched for volunteer labor. Twisted is no different in this respect — we could always use more help from the community. However, we are lucky to have something that most projects don't; the ability to convert dollars directly into maintenance that benefits the project.
When you contribute money to the Twisted project, you are directly contributing to get bugs fixed, features implemented, and tickets reviewed. Donations are [wiki:TwistedSoftwareFoundation#Background tax-deductible] and can be made via Google Checkout or Paypal or directly to the Twisted Software Foundation.
Report Bugs / Suggest Enhancements
- Search for an existing ticket: Search the bugtracker for any existing tickets that are similar
to the ones you are planning to file. There are three ways to
search for existing tickets:
- Search for tickets using Google This is usually the simplest way to search, but the results may not include the newest tickets and will also include closed tickets.
- Use the Trac ticket reporting tool You can use this tool to narrow your search to open tickets and tickets within a particular Twisted component eg web, names, etc.
- Use the Trac freetext search tool. This tool also allows you to search for related commit messages and wiki pages but it the results will not be as relevant as Google and it also returns references to closed tickets.
- Introduce yourself: If you didn't find an existing ticket, introduce yourself on the mailing lists or in IRC and discuss your proposed bug or enhancement with the Twisted Developers. They may be able to point you to an existing ticket or help you structure your proposed enhancement so that it can be quickly and efficiently integrated into Twisted.
See the Twisted Community page for the various ways to contact Twisted Developers.
- Register: Before you can create a new ticket you will have to create an account in the Twisted Trac system. Visit the registration page and choose a username and password.
Choose a unique password. Do not use the same password that you use for accessing other websites.
- Create a ticket: Read the FilingTickets section of the TwistedDevelopment guide for details of the different ticket types and then visit the New Ticket page.
- Basic instructions before you start.
- Prepare. (Links to other development process related documentation - redundancy)
- Understand the development process. (Links to UQDS and Review Process)
- Also, possibly tl;dr review process
- News files! (already linked from the links above - repeating for emphasis0
- Submit for review (May contain redundant steps)
If you have commit access:
- Read CommitterChecklist.
- Twisted and SVN (howto).
Review a Ticket
- Code Review (i.e. Divmod's description of what a code review is).
- Review Process explained in detail.
Other ways to contribute
Text from OtherWaystoContribute