|Version 1 (modified by 7 years ago) (diff),|
So, you want to contribute to Twisted?
First, a few recommendations:
- Hang out on IRC and ask questions
- Search trac for tickets with the 'Easy' keyword. These are low-hanging fruit and are good for first-time contributors.
What you'll need:
- Subversion (SVN) client
- Register with the site and create an account
- A decent grasp of Twisted and what you intend to accomplish
Just the Basics
This assumes you will be working on an existing open ticket.
- Checkout a fresh copy of Twisted trunk. This is going to be your development branch.
svn co svn://svn.twistedmatrix.com/svn/Twisted/trunk MyTwistedTrunk
- Make your changes
- You will need tests for your code
- You will need docstrings
- Run the full Twisted test suite and make sure your new tests pass along with entire suite:
- Create a patch:
svn diff -u > my-twisted-patch.patch
- Submit the patch and and attach it to the trac ticket.
- Begin the Review process. A core developer will review your changes and give you feedback. You respond to the feedback using the ticket, attaching further patches as necessary.
- Once your patch is in good shape and approved, it will be accepted.
- A core developer will create a new branch for your ticket:
description-1234, where description is a summary and 1234 is the ticket #
- The new branch will be merged to trunk and your contribution will be forever remembered.
Twisted has a rigorous development process. Now that you have a basic idea of the overall process, you can continue reading about Contributing to Twisted