[Twisted-web] [Twisted-Python] Speed of rendering?

exarkun at twistedmatrix.com exarkun at twistedmatrix.com
Fri Jan 4 14:58:13 EST 2013

On 06:30 pm, peter.westlake at pobox.com wrote:
>A while back I promised to write some benchmarks for
>twisted.web.template's flattening functions. Is something like this
>suitable? If so, I'll add lots more test cases. The output format could
>be improved, too - any preferences?

The output should be something that we can load into our codespeed
instance.  The output of any of the existing benchmarks in lp:twisted-
benchmarks should be a good example of that format (I don't even recall
what it is right now - it may not even be a "format" so much as a shape
of data to submit to an HTTP API).

The `timeit` module is probably not suitable to use to collect the data,
as it makes some questionable choices with respect to measurement
technique, and at the very least it's inconsistent with the rest of the
benchmarks we have.

Selecting data to operate on is probably an important part of this
benchmark (or collection of benchmarks).  It may not be possible to
capture all of the interesting performance characteristics in a single
dataset.  However, at least something that includes HTML tags is
probably desirable, since that is the primary use-case.

There are some other Python templating systems with benchmarks.  One
approach that might make sense is to try to build analogous benchmarks
for twisted.web.template.  (Or perhaps a little thought will reveal that
it's not possible to make comparisons between twisted.web.template and
those systems, so there's no reason to follow their benchmarking lead.)

Jean-Paul