[Twisted-web] PB vs Foolscap vs AMP?

Glyph Lefkowitz glyph at twistedmatrix.com
Thu Mar 8 17:50:09 EST 2012

On Mar 8, 2012, at 2:45 PM, Jacek Furmankiewicz wrote:

> I am trying to do some research on what is the most performant method for a Twisted server to speak to a client running in a separate process.
>
> The default solution in Twisted seems to be Perspective Broker, but then there is AMP and Foolscap as well.
>
> Has anyone ever done any benchmarks comparing those? I'd like to have an idea as to which one is most likely to give me the best performance.

AMP is fastest.  It's not really possible to directly compare, because PB and Foolscap respectively have more features, but compare here:

http://speed.twistedmatrix.com/timeline/?exe=2%2C4&base=none&ben=pb&env=d3&revs=200

and

http://speed.twistedmatrix.com/timeline/?exe=2%2C4&base=none&ben=amp&env=d3&revs=200

You're of course welcome to contribute optimizations to PB :).

-glyph