[Twisted-web] spawning a xvfb and firefox with a timeout

Stephan schenette at gmail.com
Sat Aug 20 15:29:05 EDT 2011

I've attempted to switch out spawnProcess for subprocess.Popen

e.g.

               command = "xvfb-run --auto-servernum firefox"
                args = shlex.split(command)
                #p = subprocess.Popen(args)
                #logging.debug("spawned a process: pid: %d", p.pid)
                subprocess =
reactor.spawnProcess(TimedProcessProtocol(20), args[0], args)

                logging.debug(type(subprocess))
                logging.debug("spawned a process: pid: %d", subprocess.pid)

when using subprocess.Popen, xvfb does start up correctly, but then I
have a python issue which is that xfb will start firefox-bin and make
it the parent and exit, thus, making it hard to kill the new process
of which I don't know the pid of.

in any case, I'd like to use spawnProcess, so any help as to why this
isn't working would be helpful.

Stephan