[Twisted-web] Single-threaded WSGIResource

Cristiano Paris cristiano.paris at gmail.com
Wed Feb 3 02:56:38 EST 2010

On Tue, Feb 2, 2010 at 11:13 PM,  <exarkun at twistedmatrix.com> wrote:
> Can you use a thread-local SQLite3 connection, or is that logic buried
> too deeply in some other code?

It is, so this is not an option.

> Another option (I think - untested) would be to give WSGIResource a
> different implementation of the thread pool interface:
>
> class NotThreadPool:
>    def callInThread(self, f, *a, **kw):
>        f(*a, **kw)

Well, that would work too but I think it isn't more elegant than my
solution yet being shorter, as you still have to know how the
_WSGIRequest's code works.

A better option would be to delegate the threading strategy to
subclasses of a generic "adapter" class which:

1 - Turns a Twisted Web request to a WSGI environment upon creation
(i.e. in the __init__ method), adapts the input/output/error streams
and so on.
2 - Let the class user start the WSGI application, whatever this means
(start a thread or passing control straight to 3).
3 - Calls the WSGI application after starting to get the output from it.
4 - Writes the output the client.

The adapter class provides 1 and 3. Since 2 and 4 deal with the
threading/non threading strategy, they wouldn't be directly
implemented by the adapter class: they are implemented in subclasses
providing the wanted threading strategy.

My two cents.

Cristiano