[Twisted-web] Copying Nevow features into Twisted Web (was Re: Status of divmod-dev list?)

Colin Alston karnaugh at karnaugh.za.net
Mon Dec 20 02:22:48 EST 2010

On Mon, Dec 20, 2010 at 8:37 AM, Werner Thie <werner at thieprojects.ch> wrote:

> I've quite a few very active projects based on nevow/athena, (operating
> at 100k hits/day) dubbing nevow/athena as 'a large pile of aging
> JavaScript' sounds like it's going to be thrown overboard and simply
> does not credit who's credits are due.

Well, considering it's one of the authors of it saying that, I'll accept it
from whence it comes. And I agree to a large extent, Athena could be better
in many regards, and twisted.web2 could probably have helped that.

Athena can make life quite painful if your deployment environment isn't the
perfect Divmod way, which is understandable in the context that it was
created, and most other ways are indeed wrong. That's why I did a lot of
work on Enamel to wrap some of Athena's somewhat laborious bootstrapping
requirements.

> In my opinion there is nothing really comparable to nevow/athena out
> there

It's more a case of "It works now for many people, so great, let them
continue using it as it is" but as for the /future/ of the Divmod projects,
bugs and feature requests, one might as well say "If it can be better, then
there is opportunity to make it so".