[Twisted-web] Guard, LastPage Memory Leak?

Glyph Lefkowitz glyph at twistedmatrix.com
Mon Jul 27 20:56:45 EDT 2009

On Mon, Jul 27, 2009 at 7:36 PM, Federico Tomassini <federicotom at yahoo.it>wrote:

> I encountered the following problem. It sounds really strange.
> I discovered, using pdb and gc inside logoutPortal(), that
> visited pages remain alive.
> That does seem pretty strange.

So, I created a WastingMemPage(rand.Page) class

Rather than wasting lots of memory to debug, why not use gc.get_referrers to
discover what's keeping your rend.Page instance alive?  Perhaps it's an
object in your own application that you can get rid of.  Or, if it's a bug
in Nevow, it will tell us where in Nevow.

 * Is a rend.Page() not deleted once rendered?

It certainly *should* be, assuming nothing's hanging on to it...

> * Altough the previous question, why pages remain
>    linked from something after portalLogout()?

I don't know.

What's happening? Am I making some mistake?

Without access to your code — and, I would imagine, a pretty extensive debug
log — I couldn't tell you exactly what's happening.

Can you construct a minimal example which demonstrates the problem, which
someone on this list could run and debug?

> Is there some limit on portalLogout()?

No.  The behavior you're noticing sounds like a definite bug somewhere; if
not in your code then in Nevow itself.

py 2.5/2.4. Nevow 0.9.31.

Have you tried Nevow trunk at HEAD?  Does the problem still exist?