[Twisted-web] Handling childs at Nevow

Siegmund Führinger lists at 0xx0.net
Sat Jul 25 13:16:08 EDT 2009

On Sat, Jul 25, 2009 at 1:05 PM, Colin Alston<karnaugh at karnaugh.za.net> wrote:

> 2009/7/25 Siegmund Führinger <lists at 0xx0.net>
>>
>> On Sat, Jul 25, 2009 at 10:06 AM, Colin Alston<karnaugh at karnaugh.za.net>
>> wrote:

>> > I really and truly hope not.
>>
>> why not? urls are very important and using child_XXX methods is
>> sometimes not very convinient.
>
> Convenience at the cost of maintainability is not worth it.
>
> Trust me, if your project is going to reach any kind of size, you do NOT
> want "django esque" URL dispatchers. I've seen it go bad, I've experienced
> it go bad.

sorry i can't trust you on that one, because i am involved in a very
big project at the moment. i'm not allowed to talk about it yet, but i
is probably the biggest application of python in austria (ok, that is
not really hard ;) )
and i wrote a similar service (but way not as large) with nevow's
traditional way of dealing with urls. and this one is very hard to
maintain, because the url system is not abstracted out of the code and
templates.
so maintainability IS the reason i use a django like url dispatch
system. i'm not a native speaker so convenience was probably the wrong
word to choose.

but it very much depends on the type of project. for some projects
(also relatively large ones) it has been the right decision to stick
with nevow's default way of handling urls.