[Twisted-web] A question with storm orm and Nevow

glyph at divmod.com glyph at divmod.com
Fri Jul 17 10:52:59 EDT 2009

On 07:49 am, karnaugh at karnaugh.za.net wrote:
>Gees man, I don't know why you bother with Storm ORM looking at that
>code
>excerpt.

>Axiom ORM is significantly less convoluted.

Yay Axiom, we all love Axiom.  Except, Axiom isn't an ORM, it's a
database :).  I don't want people getting the idea that Axiom is a
replacement for Storm (and similar systems): it's something different.

The difference is that an ORM will allow you to access whatever schema
you want, perhaps a pre-existing one; a good ORM will let you use
whatever database you want.

Axiom only lets you use SQLite, and it defines how your schema has to be
structured, created, managed, and upgraded.  There are queries that you
can't perform with Axiom which you could perform with Storm.

Most importantly, though, Storm is designed to allow you to have other
things able to access the same database *without* the benefit of having
Storm code loaded into them, whereas Axiom requires that certain
invariants be enforced, and doesn't define them anywhere but the Axiom
code.  The only safe way to modify an Axiom database is via an Axiom
program with the appropriate schema.

Of course Axiom has its advantages too, but those are obvious, right?
;-)