[Twisted-web] [Athena] Is ReliableMessageDelivery really necessary?

Paul Thomas spongelavapaul at googlemail.com
Wed Jul 1 06:15:35 EDT 2009

Hi,

I've hit a problem as my app has got bigger (about 30-40 widgets now,
all chattering roughly once every 2 seconds) where the reliable
message delivery mechanism is spiralling out of control. It seems that
the constant back and forth means that large 'baskets' of messages are
resent. The more this happens, the busier everything gets until the
browser becomes unresponsive.

There's a fix for it: [Divmod-dev] athena duplicate messages issue but
I'm slightly concerned about the potential for lost messages - and
also confused about how this could happen. Given that HTTP is a
reliable connection-oriented transport, where is the gap that messages
can fall through?

I think I can cope with lost messages in most cases, so would it be
useful to add a kind of 'sendRemote' that was like 'callRemote' but
didn't care about a response? Or maybe this already exists and I've
missed it?

Paul.

P.S. this app is likely to get more noisy - is it likely that I'll
have to abandon Athena for Orbited or similar? I mean, are there
architectural differences that will prevent Athena scaling?