[Twisted-web] Page loading time

George Pauly george at ringdevelopment.com
Tue Feb 10 10:07:30 EST 2009

Peter,

I have no experience with Nevow/Athena, and you have Jean-Paul
Calderone's advice.

Since you are in the planning stage, I'll offer a technologically
successful example of the use of a Dojo client and a Twisted server:
http://simplemax.net/func.html

The client consists of an HTML page that uses Dojo for several purposes.
For server communication it uses Dojo's implementation of JSON/Ajax.
The server uses twisted web's web.http.HTTPFactory .

Even though the twisted server is hosted on a 2006-vintage 32-bit single
processor machine on a residential network, the rate limiting factor (in
North America) is rendering of the client output, which is throttled
with the 'more output' control on the func.html page.

I haven't used Javascript compression.  When appropriate I design with
an application pattern as in the func.html example above.  This serves
the end of cacheing, often on the screen of the client, reducing the
need for compression.  So I am a bad reference, but here are two
alternatives:

http://www.crockford.com/javascript/jsmin.html

http://shrinksafe.dojotoolkit.org/

Also, I would point out that using the edge network cache of Dojo is
essential to fast page loading. I use

<SCRIPT TYPE="text/javascript"
SRC="http://ajax.googleapis.com/ajax/libs/dojo/1.2/dojo/dojo.xd.js">
</SCRIPT>

and similar links to the Dojo CSS.  I'm not sure how well this works
outside of North America, however.  There is also an AOL network cache
of Dojo.

Regards,

George

On Mon, 2009-02-09 at 17:26 -0800, Piotr Jackowski wrote:

> Hi George
>
> Yes I know this is a wide-range topic. I have just started developing
> with Nevow and I don't have any major problem yet.
> I'm on planing stage so I just wanted to know what options I have.
> First maybe I would like to know how to compress  response, including
> javascript files from Nevow/Athena framework.
> After every request to LivePage there are 3-4 additional requests for
> Nevow js and I want add my js files too. I
> was thinking about using dojotoolkit.org, so I can end up with many js
> static files.
>
> Peter
>

> On Mon, Feb 9, 2009 at 2:16 PM, George Pauly
> <george at ringdevelopment.com> wrote:
>         This is a wide-ranging topic, with possibilities on many
>         levels.
>
>         As far as twisted-web itself, my experience is that it can be
>         very rapid
>         in response.
>
>         Your solution may lie elsewhere, but can you be more specific
>         as to your
>         situation?
>

>         Thanks,
>
>         George
>

>         On Mon, 2009-02-09 at 13:49 -0800, Piotr Jackowski wrote:
>         >
>         > Hi Guys,
>         >
>         > Do you have any hints how to speed up live page loading
>         time?
>         > How to add compression or caching to xhtml and javascript
>         files?
>         >
>         >
>         > Peter