[Twisted-web] proxy http 204

Jean-Paul Calderone exarkun at divmod.com
Fri Apr 24 15:01:53 EDT 2009

On Fri, 24 Apr 2009 11:55:20 -0700, Brian Kuhn <bnkuhn at gmail.com> wrote:
>I've written an http proxy using twisted.  It works fine, except when
>proxying an HTTP 204 response.
>The handleStatus, handleHeader and handleEndHeaders all get called.  Then
>the process just hangs for 10+ seconds (presumably timing out).  Then
>handleResponseEnd gets called (never calling handleResponsePart).
>
>All of this is expected, except for the hanging part.  Anyone have any ideas
>what's going on here?

204 is "No Content".  Quoting the RFC:

   The 204 response MUST NOT include a message-body, and thus is always
   terminated by the first empty line after the header fields.

This, despite the fact that a 204 response may include a content-length
header with a non-zero value.  Make sure you're handling this properly.

Jean-Paul