[Twisted-web] Having reactor run at the main thread make things harder for late adopters

George Pauly george at ringdevelopment.com
Tue Nov 4 15:56:12 EST 2008

On Tue, 2008-11-04 at 22:20 +0200, Tzury Bar Yochay wrote:
> I will first describe my application in a single sentence.
> Write a server that can serve TCP/UDP clients on several ports, and
> let the clients communicate with each other in a predefined protocol,
> while each can 'talk' to the server in a different protocol/port.

Are the clients communicating directly or through the server?

Are the ports specific to either client/server communication or
(presuming the answer to the first question) client/client

> In my case where I picked up Twisted relatively late in the project I
> need Twisted to plugged into my applocation and not the my application
> plugged-into Twisted (at least at this stage).

Is this because the client is already written with a specific protocol
in mind?

> Is there a way to by-pass this limitation?
> At this stage the main problem I see is having transport.write will
> have data transmitted immediately when called from another thread.

You already have threads in your server?  Is this the limitation?  If
so, are the threads there to handle client connections?

George Pauly
Ring Development