[Twisted-web] status of Twisted Web and Web 2

glyph at divmod.com glyph at divmod.com
Wed Mar 5 22:20:03 EST 2008

On 02:56 am, amcnabb at mcnabbs.org wrote:
>That's not the most reassuring answer I could have expected. :)

You should have said you wanted reassuring rather than accurate - that's
not my default mode :).
>Stability and interoperability were the main things I had in mind.  How
>well have the server and client been tested against other clients and
>servers out there?  Does it make it easy to deal with persistent
>connections?

Well, twisted.web, like I said, has been around for an aeon or two and I
know it's been tested against a lot of things.  Apple uses web2 in its
DAV calendar server, so I assume that's been tested against some non-
browser clients.

We have no automated interoperability testing though.
>It's a chicken and egg sort of thing.  When things seem quiet, you're
>not sure if your patch will be appreciated. :)

Your patch might not get *accepted* but don't mistake that for a lack of
*appreciation*.  :).  Our quality standards are very high these days and
you can expect a lot of discussion and some push-back (a lot of push-
back if you don't have unit tests) but we definitely appreciate every
contribution.
>>I'd also like to fold in large parts of Nevow and get rid, at the very
>>least, of Nevow's application server components.
>
> From my perspective, the most compelling thing about Twisted is the
>ability to use it within other programs.  I find the low-level
>protocols
>more uniquely useful than higher-level frameworks, especially in the
>face of competition with large projects like Django.

The worst thing about the current web confusion is that I think Twisted
would be that much *more* powerful if projects like Django could build
upon it; being the common lower-level of django, zope, cherrypy,
turbogears, and whatever else, would draw a lot of interest for Twisted,
and eliminate the need for the "don't use this piece of crap in a real
deployment" webservers that many of those projects currently come with.

However, I wasn't talking about turning Twisted into some kind of Rails
clone.  Nevow's templating would be handy for implementing "native" web
server features that want to produce some simple HTML (like eliminating
the god-awful hack we currently use for directory listing), but the main
thing I'm talking about is eliminating Nevow's duplication of basic
Twisted web-server features (it has its own resource traversal, its own
Site object, its own static.File...).
>Thank you very much for your feedback.  My questions were intentionally
>open-ended, and you did a fine job answering them.  Thanks.

No problem.