[Twisted-web] Re: [Twisted-Python] Re: Twisted Hosting and Twisted in the Cloud

Andy Fundinger Andy at NewWorldElectric.com
Tue Jul 8 22:20:00 EDT 2008

Yeah, initial setup is a pain compared to say Pylons.  Especially when I
know I'm skimping on setting up the twistd service stuff at the beginning
when I probably ought to.  The thought keeps going through my head "Why
don't you write a bastard hybrid of paster for twisted?"  Anybody else hear
that dark and ominous voice?

-Andy Fundinger

On Tue, Jul 8, 2008 at 3:49 PM, Duncan McGreggor <duncan.mcgreggor at gmail.co=
m>
wrote:

> On Tue, Jul 8, 2008 at 12:02 PM, Marcin Kasperski
> <Marcin.Kasperski at softax.com.pl> wrote:
> >>  * Dedicated hosts, with Twisted libs pre-installed on them
> >>  * Virtual hosts/"slices" with Twisted libs pre-installed on them
> >
> > Installing Twisted is easy enough ;-) If I manage dedicated host or
> > VPS, then installing twisted is a simple command, be it easy_install,
> > apt-get install, or yum something....
> >
> > So I do not think there is much to be gained here. Maybe cheap shared
> > hosting with ability to run twisted apps could make some sense, but
> > ... VPS are cheap nowadays.
>
> There are two things to consider here:
>
> 1) We've had conversations with application developers who use Twisted
> and do a lot of repeated setup. They'd like it if they didn't have to
> do that every time... but not only the work itself, the mental
> convenience factor: they don't want to even have to think about it.
> They'd like to consider it simply part of their OS. I don't know about
> you, but I like the idea of a Twisted OS ;-)
>
> 2) Perception and exposure. This one's a biggie. If hosting providers
> start offering explicit support for Twisted, we get an arguably
> significant increase in exposure to potential users. The more people
> who are aware that Twisted exists, the more that use it. The many and
> obvious benefits that come as a result of this (including more
> potential funding for the TSF!) are an excellent motivation.
>
> > Supported installation may be different story, but it can be uneasy
> > to draw a line where the support really ends....
>
> That's definitely a dark art ;-)

-- =

Blog: http://channel3b.wordpress.com
Second Life Name: Ciemaar Flintoff

What would you do if they outlawed hypothetical questions?