[Twisted-web] Re: [Twisted-Python] Re: Twisted Hosting and Twisted in the Cloud

Duncan McGreggor duncan.mcgreggor at gmail.com
Tue Jul 8 15:49:26 EDT 2008

On Tue, Jul 8, 2008 at 12:02 PM, Marcin Kasperski
<Marcin.Kasperski at softax.com.pl> wrote:
>>  * Dedicated hosts, with Twisted libs pre-installed on them
>>  * Virtual hosts/"slices" with Twisted libs pre-installed on them
>
> Installing Twisted is easy enough ;-) If I manage dedicated host or
> VPS, then installing twisted is a simple command, be it easy_install,
> apt-get install, or yum something....
>
> So I do not think there is much to be gained here. Maybe cheap shared
> hosting with ability to run twisted apps could make some sense, but
> ... VPS are cheap nowadays.

There are two things to consider here:

1) We've had conversations with application developers who use Twisted
and do a lot of repeated setup. They'd like it if they didn't have to
do that every time... but not only the work itself, the mental
convenience factor: they don't want to even have to think about it.
They'd like to consider it simply part of their OS. I don't know about
you, but I like the idea of a Twisted OS ;-)

2) Perception and exposure. This one's a biggie. If hosting providers
start offering explicit support for Twisted, we get an arguably
significant increase in exposure to potential users. The more people
who are aware that Twisted exists, the more that use it. The many and
obvious benefits that come as a result of this (including more
potential funding for the TSF!) are an excellent motivation.

> Supported installation may be different story, but it can be uneasy
> to draw a line where the support really ends....

That's definitely a dark art ;-)