[Twisted-web] Re: xmlrpc resource file descriptor leak

Phil Mayers p.mayers at imperial.ac.uk
Wed Jul 2 10:48:41 EDT 2008

Phil Mayers wrote:
> This is a bit vague, and I wanted to get some feedback before I submit a
> ticket.
>
> We have a long-running twisted / nevow process that basically has:
>
>  root
>   \- RPC2 - a twisted.web.xmlrpc.XMLRPC sub-class
>   \- ui   - nevow pages
>
> The thing hung up over the weekend with "too many open file descriptors"
> and before I killed it I did an "lsof"; lots of the files were:
>
> python25 20163  nsg   31u   REG              253,0      370   3276854
> /tmp/tmp5QJivu (deleted)
>
> ...and "cat /proc/20163/fd/31" shows:
>
> <?xml version='1.0'?>
> <methodCall>
> <methodName>classify_maclist</methodName>

<snip>

> ...which is an XMLRPC call from a Zope server on another machine to this
> process. I presume the t.w.http.Request content is getting written to a
> tempfile, but I can't understand why - the Content-Length is tiny (<400
> bytes).

Ignore this. The underlying cause seemed to be an unrelated issue; this
issue was prevent Python from gc-ing the http.Request objects and thus
closing the open file descriptors.

I still don't know why the content was written to a temp file when it
was so short, but it may be because I'm using HTTPS rather than HTTP.

Sorry for the noise.