[Twisted-web] Content-disposition and static.File

Maarten ter Huurne maarten at treewalker.org
Fri Aug 29 04:50:56 EDT 2008

On Friday 29 August 2008, tarjei wrote:

> def locateChild(self, ctx):
>    request = inevow.IRequest(ctx)
>    request.setHeader("content-disposition"
> ,"attachment;filename=foo.pdf")
>
>    return static.File(self.path_to_file)
>
> This works well (except I do not get to define the filename) if I do not
> add the content-disposition header, but when I do that twisted just
> explodes into an exception.

What is that exception exactly?

One thing to be careful with is that in HTTP headers only ASCII is allowed.
If your file name is a unicode object (even if it only contains ASCII
characters), 16-bit characters will be sent in the HTTP headers and the
browser will not like that. But in my experience this does not cause
exceptions (maybe it should, though).

Bye,
		Maarten