[Twisted-web] [Nevow] newflat

Manlio Perillo manlio_perillo at libero.it
Mon Jan 8 03:54:37 CST 2007

glyph at divmod.com ha scritto:
> On 7 Jan, 10:56 am, manlio_perillo at libero.it wrote:
>  >Hi.
>  >
>  >I have found this code:
>  >http://divmod.org/trac/browser/sandbox/dialtone/newflat
>  >
>  >But, again, this is 5 months old.
>  >
>  >What's the problem?
>  >
>  >I can offer my contribution but I need to know if there is some migration
>  >plan for Nevow.
>  >
>  >As an example, you can create a nevow2 project, or just add a nevow
>  >subpackage in twisted.web2.
>  >
>  >Please, let me know.
>
> Is the question here, "When is Nevow going to migrate to web2"?

No (well, not only).
I can see several migration paths for Nevow.

1) Write the replacement for rend.Page as page.Page.
    This can be done right now (as with page.Element).

2) Write a replacement of flat, with cleaner code but still with support
    for data directives (to maintain compatibility with existing code)

3) Modify appserver and rend to support the new flat

4) Migrate all to web2, remove support for data directives and macros

Another path is:
1) write a new (sub) package named stan (nevow.stan) with only the
support for rendering

2) add in Nevow the support for stan

I think that writing a new, self contained, simpler and well documented
stan package is the best solution (since stan can be used with other web
toolkits - I just read a blog where someone has written a
reimplementation of stan for Turbogears).

> If so, the answer is "when web2 is declared stable".
>
> See the "web2-gold-master" milestone in the Twisted tracker for more
> details.

Ok, thanks.
I should start to use the tracker...

Regards  Manlio Perillo