Fwd: [Twisted-web] [Nevow] again on data directive

Manlio Perillo manlio_perillo at libero.it
Thu Jan 4 06:53:06 CST 2007

sifu ha scritto:
> hmmmm... couldn't send it to the list.

The problem with the current implementation is that data directives are
handled by the Nevow rendering machinery (with object adaptation).

I'm proposing that data directive must be handled by the user.

Here is an example:

<ul n:render="list">
   <li n:data="x" n:render="item" />
   <li n:data="y" n:render="item  />
</ul>

def render_list(request, tag):
    request.data = {'x': 1, 'y': 2}
    return tag

def render_item(request, tag):
    item = request.data[tag.data]
    return tag[item]

Without data directive I have to do:

<ul n:render="list">
   <li n:pattern="x"><n:slot name="value" /></li>
   <li n:pattern="y" /><n:slot name="value" /></li>
</ul>

def render_list(request, tag):
    data = {'x': 1, 'y': 2}
    for key, val in data.iteritems():
       pat = tag.onePattern(key)
       pat.fillSlots('value', val)

    return tag

In this example, using only patterns and slots is easy (and I do not
have to store data on the request object), but I'm not sure this will be
the same with a more complex template.

I will try to do same tests.

Regards  Manlio Perillo