[Twisted-web] rest webservice and big data.

Jean-Paul Calderone exarkun at divmod.com
Mon Aug 20 14:53:24 EDT 2007

On Mon, 20 Aug 2007 13:33:09 -0500, "L. Daniel Burr" <ldanielburr at mac.com> wrote:
> [snip]
>>The only other things which might not be obvious here.  Changes to
>>twisted.web should be backwards compatible so that existing twisted.web
>>applications continue to work without being modified.  Implementing
>>what I've described above without regard for backwards compatibility  would
>>probably mean subjecting existing applications to two things:
>
>You lost me here.  First you say that changes to twisted.web should be
>backwards-compatible, then you go on to describe how to do things in
>a non-compatible manner.  I don't have a preference regarding the
>issue of compatibility, but I'm not clear as to whether you do.

Oops :)  To clarify, when this is implemented, it should be implemented in
a way which _is_ backwards compatible.

> [snip]
>>FWIW, what I described doesn't resemble the support for this  functionality
>>in web2 at all, I think.
>
>True, and I'm somewhat surprised, given the work currently going on
>with web2.  Isn't dialtone's consumer/producer oriented stream stuff
>going to be "the way" to do this sort of thing?  Does twisted.web
>have to approach it differently, due to design constraints?

Fitting this into twisted.web with an API similar to that of twisted.web2
would be more challenging.  It might be possible though.  Perhaps one of
the web2 developers can comment on that in more detail.

Jean-Paul