[Twisted-web] web2.client pipelining (was: Web2: What is to be Done)

Scott Lamb slamb at slamb.org
Thu Sep 14 17:36:27 CDT 2006

On Sep 14, 2006, at 3:03 PM, James Y Knight wrote:
> On Sep 14, 2006, at 3:25 PM, Scott Lamb wrote:
>> Okay, cool. So is twisted.web.client (and its dependencies) not
>> going to be included in this deprecation, or is there going to be
>> a temporary regression in functionality? I have no strong opinion;
>> an HTTP/1.0 client wasn't that useful to me to begin with.
>
> twisted.web isn't deprecated, and won't be until web2 is an
> adequate replacement.

I thought the desire to deprecate it is what started this thread? I
don't see any mention of web2.client in http://twistedmatrix.com/trac/
ticket/2085 or http://twistedmatrix.com/trac/query?
status=new&status=assigned&status=reopened&milestone=Web2-Gold-Master.

>> This could be a practical problem for me. I'm stuck using a
>> protocol created by a wannabe standards body that has mandated (1)
>> a non-idempotent sequence and (2) the client never closing the
>> connection. (And no, this is not the first time they've
>> contradicted an underlying standard...)
>
> Can you assume the server doesn't close the connection on you
> except on errors? If so, that should be okay.

No, I believe in the last version it was only the client that can't
close it, and not a word about timeouts.

> I don't know which protocol you're talking about, but others like
> this I've seen which assign significance to a long-lived HTTP
> connection have also had the property that the connection doesn't
> get closed out from under the client after approx 30s of
> inactivity, like a normal HTTP server would.

Most server implementations are using J2EE code on off-the-shelf
webservers. I don't think they've touched the timeout settings at all...

If you like staring at train wrecks, you'll love CWMP. Here's the
original standard:

http://www.dslforum.org/techwork/tr/TR-069.pdf

I think the latest version isn't public yet.

--
Scott Lamb <http://www.slamb.org/>