[Twisted-web] web2.client pipelining (was: Web2: What is to be Done)

James Y Knight foom at fuhm.net
Thu Sep 14 15:26:59 CDT 2006

On Sep 14, 2006, at 3:33 PM, Scott Lamb wrote:
> Maybe this could be replaced with "idempotent" with an appropriate
> docstring? It'd accomplish the same thing, but it would then be
> obvious to people who haven't read a pile of RFCs under what
> circumstances they need it set in a particular way. With a
> "closeAfter" argument, it's tempting to say "of course I want
> closeAfter=False; I'm sending more stuff and one connection is
> faster" without realizing the consequences. If idempotency is what
> decides the behavior, then that's what the client should tell you.

This is the low level http API. In the nonexistent high level client
API, the user would not concern themselves with this: the connection
pool manager would default to reusing connections when it's safe to
do so, and not reusing connections when it's not safe. If you're
using the low level API directly, you should never set it to False,
regardless of whether your request is idempotent, unless you really
know what you're doing (ie: you're basically writing a connection
manager).

James