[Twisted-web] fragments with child lookup

L. Daniel Burr ldanielburr at mac.com
Fri Oct 13 10:58:03 CDT 2006

On Fri, 13 Oct 2006 10:25:12 -0500, Manlio Perillo
<manlio_perillo at libero.it> wrote:

> L. Daniel Burr ha scritto:
[SNIP]
>> No, it is thanks to "tree of resources" design, that guard can do its
>> job.  That is not the same thing as saying that every segment has a
>> template.  Some resources do *not* render anything; instead, via
>> locateChild, or other mechanisms, they return other resources.
>>

> Then I don't understand what do you mean by "template-per-segment"
> design...
>
> In the URL http://myhost.com/foo/bar/baz, the resource living at baz
> depends upon foo and bar because of the "tree of resurces" design.

Sorry, I realize terminology can be imprecise and confusing in many
cases.  "template-per-segment", as I am using it, means this: each
segment in the URL corresponds to an HTML/XML/XHTML/Whatever template.

In nevow, this does not have to be the case.  A resource might only
return child resources, and have no template of its own.  In fact,
this is one of the really useful things about the tree-of-resource
structure: Some resources have concrete representations, and some
are purely logical.

The point I am trying to make, and have apparently failed to make,
is that URL segment != markup snippet.  A "template-per-segment"
design means that every segment must have a corresponding template
that gets rendered as some kind of markup.  It also means that each
template depends on markup from the template containing it, which
is what I am objecting to so strenuously.

Also, your statement that "baz" depends upon "foo" and "bar" is not
necessarily true.  "baz" is clearly contained within "bar", which is
contained within "foo".  Containment != dependency.  This does not
preclude enforcing a dependency if you so desire, but I think that
mandating such a dependency is unnecessary and limiting.

Is this explanation any clearer?

> Regards  Manlio Perillo

L. Daniel Burr