[Twisted-web] Don't use the context?

Jean-Paul Calderone exarkun at divmod.com
Thu Oct 12 07:25:38 CDT 2006

On Thu, 12 Oct 2006 17:45:40 +1000, Jonathan Lange <jml at mumak.net> wrote:
>Hello,
>
>"DON'T USE THE CONTEXT" has been in the #twisted.web topic for some
>time. I've heard that the context is being removed from Nevow.
>
>* Why is the context being removed?

 - It causes buggy software to be written
 - It causes complex software to be written
 - It causes rendering to be O(N ** N) in memory and CPU

>* What should I use instead of the context to get at ctx.tag?

nevow.page.Element has a render dispatcher which passes the request
and the tag to render methods.

>* How does nevow:data stuff work in a world without context?

I don't know.  It doesn't so far.

>* nevow-rendering.txt should be updated. It currently recommends that
>people use the context.

Patches accepted, etc (please convert it from rest to lore too :( ).

Jean-Paul