[Twisted-web] DOM manipulation in an athena widget

glyph at divmod.com glyph at divmod.com
Sun Oct 1 09:03:28 CDT 2006

On Sun, 01 Oct 2006 13:13:11 +0100, Phil Mayers <p.mayers at imperial.ac.uk> wrote:
>glyph at divmod.com wrote:
>>Some parts of the Divmod infrastructure still use MochiKit.  We're trying
>>to remove this dependency in the future to allow Nevow users to use
>>whatever version of MochiKit they like, but at least for the time
>Would you expect that to work completely? How will the two kits interact
>with regards things like e.g. addLoadEvent, addToCallStack, connct() and so

It depends on your application.  Athena doesn't internally generate much DOM client side, or attempt to handle your events.  If you do that with MochiKit it shouldn't conflict.

>Also, I'm not an expert, but don't many browsers limit you to 2 HTTP
>requests outstanding to a given server at once, meaning it's likely you'd
>run into problems running e.g. the Mochikit xmlhttp and the Athena one?

Yep.  This isn't a library problem though: if you're using Athena, you _must not_ use any other XHR APIs in your page.  Athena goes to a good deal of trouble to allow you to have more than 2 outstanding athena requests when the browser allows you only 2 HTTP requests.  It needs both of those requests though, one to wait for incoming notifications and one to make outgoing requests.

>What I'm trying to get a feel for with the Athena stuff is what parts of the
>javascript runtime, if any, are supposed to be used, and which parts are
>private and just for implementing callRemote and friends.

I hope someone more knowledgeable about the intent of those APIs will answer.  Technically speaking the rule is that the APIs are public unless they start with "_", but "public" doesn't necessarily mean "supported in perpetuity".

Please feel free to ask about specific things though; hopefully someone more knowledgeable about the API's intent than I will answer.