[Twisted-web] Implementing hanging get with twisted web

joe kim joe.kim at gmail.com
Sat Nov 11 13:06:07 CST 2006

Hi all,

I had a question about implementing hanging-gets.  A hanging get is
basically when the server "hangs" onto the http request until either a
certain period of time or until there is an event is triggered.  It is
a hack for implementing event driven messaging on top of HTTP.

Alex Russell references it in his blog:  http://alex.dojotoolkit.org/?p=545

What's the best way to implement hanging-gets using twisted?  I have a
web page that I want to immediately update everytime there is a change
to the data.  Making asynchronous javascript requests every second do
not really make sense, but I was thinking that if the javascript
continually made asynchronous requests to the server and the server
implemented hanging-gets, then that would be a good solution.

Any thoughts are appreciated.

Cheers,
Joe