[Twisted-web] livepage and IClientHandle().transient

Valentino Volonghi aka Dialtone dialtone at divmod.com
Sat Jun 24 19:31:21 CDT 2006

On Sat, 24 Jun 2006 14:23:43 +0200, Alessandro <aleuser at inwind.it> wrote:
>At the bottom of this email.
>I'm using nevow from svn, last revision.
>Python 2.4.1

Ok, I think this is a bug. IClientHandle is not registered in the context so transient cannot be
used in the way it is documented (at least).
This is a bug IMHO and you should report it in trac under divmod.org.

But as I said the current version of livepage (which I think should be removed because buggy, not really working and not very supported lately) is not the main one.

>>>I'm going to use the server side sessions and something similar "return
>>>client.get(btn_idname).disable=true"... but I don't like it.
>>
>>Sessions should not be used at all because you must always be able to
>>serialize them and their fields should remain somewhat fixed.
>
>I can't understand: why sessions should be "serializzable"? Do you mean that
>I should be able to write them to a file whenever I want?

Sessions are not in your control. Sessions are there for the server and not for the user. It's the
server that needs to distinguish between different requests from the users and not the developer.

Sessions are also a complete implementation detail (I mean the session object) because it could easily be just a string (although that would be impractical).

Adding/Removing stuff from something that you do not own is pretty risky and it's asking for trouble.

>Probably you are right; my app is only made by few test modules. I have
>choosed livepage because It is simpler to understand IMHO

Not understanding the source of a problem is a clear sign of not being simple. Athena and livepage are similar in respect to difficulty and IMHO the americano way is a bit better.