[Twisted-web] Re: Thoughts on documentation, wading into Twisted, Nevow, etc.

Valentino Volonghi aka Dialtone dialtone at divmod.com
Sat Jul 8 13:33:18 CDT 2006

On Sat, 8 Jul 2006 12:17:52 -0400 (EDT), lloyd at paisite.com wrote:
>...How about titles more like:
>
>- Authenticating Web Users
>- Using ORMs (Databases)
>- Parse and Validate a Form
>- Share Global State
>- Rendering Nested Sequences
>- Nested Data Directives
>- One-time Renderers
>- User Sessions
>- Virtual Host Setup
>
>With these suggestions I believe we're well on our way.
>
>Questions:
>
>--Does Beau's list cover the necessary and sufficient application issues,
>conceptual concepts, and code objects and components to bring a newbie to
>reasonable competency when it comes to building websites and applications
>in good Twisted form and style?

There's probably one or two more questions:

- What's the difference between macros, data, renders and fragments? How do they
  relate to each other?

- Why is the Templating like it is? Does it work well with designers?

>--Is the list sequenced to build from least assumptions about prior
>knowledge to most?

Not really. Let's reorder:

- IResource interface
- Virtual Host Setup
- User Sessions
- Templating engine (nested sequences, macros, fragments, data, renderers)
- Share Global State
- Using ORMs (Databases)
- Authenticating Web Users
- Per-user State

>--Should we have an adventure dealing with site security and/or putting a
>Twisted site into production?

I think so.
We should talk about integrating with lighttpd and apache like it is already
partly explained in divmod.org trac wiki.

>--The Turkey adventures to date had more-or-less the following structure:
>
>- Short, runnable code example
>- Discussion of anticipated results
>- Discussion of how it works -- concepts, theory, references to Twisted
>docs and source
>- Conclusion
>
>Can this structure be improved?

I think it's fine enough.