[Twisted-web] Re: Thoughts on documentation, wading into Twisted, Nevow, etc.

Thomas Raschbacher lordvan at lordvan.com
Tue Jul 4 13:46:06 CDT 2006

On Sun, 02 Jul 2006 21:51:57 -0600, Duncan McGreggor wrote:

> Terry Jones wrote:
>> Here's a summary of thoughts I've had over the last month or so. Please try
>> to take the following as positive / constructive.
> Terry, that was a great email. Thanks for the time and consideration.
yep same here :)
> It seems there is a need for several tutorials/documentation updates to
> fill these needs. One of the greatest strengths of Nevow, though, is its
> flexibility. The combination of Twisted and Nevow almost provide more of
> a "meta web dev framework" than one of the "competing" web frameworks.
> And this naturally makes documentation of "the right way to do it"
> rather difficult. One solution may be a series of tutorials addressing
> various needs/circumstances while outlining the benefits/reasons for the
> given approach.
>
> I've been thinking of writing a new tutorial lately. Maybe we should
> crank a few out... hmm, on that thought, maybe there should be a
> standard format for Nevow tutorials. "Intended Audience", "What this
> tutorial addresses", "What this tutorial doesn't address", "Components
> used", etc. Dunno. Just rambling now. Glad you're writing about this :-)

maybe it'd be a good idea to have write some templates for tutorials
and/or DTDs/Stylesheets (that if xml will be used) that way we could also
easily generate pdfs,.. i could probably help with that and maybe even a
bit with writing documentation though I haven't used nevow much (some
years ago I've written a complete working [and deployed] webshop using
woven - nevow's predecessor for those who don't know what it is ;) and it
worked great - definitely better than mvc (which was even before woven
hehe)

I really hope this will result in some good tutorials / examples (some of
the woven examples are quite good at the moment as they are (I like the
blog / wiki tutorials though I can't get them to work with current svn
*and* the code generated by axiomatic is quite different ..)

Regards