[Twisted-web] web2 log patch

James Y Knight foom at fuhm.net
Fri Jan 20 12:27:47 MST 2006

On Jan 20, 2006, at 1:36 PM, Andrea Arcangeli wrote:
> My test suite is the CPUShare server code, I tested it.

That is not a unit test.

And if you don't care if things keep working, that's okay. However,
people generally _do_ like things to continue working. That's what
unit tests are for. The logging code has worked in the past, but, as
seen by the brokenness currently existing in svn, not having a test
means someone may break it and nobody may notice. That's bad.
Wouldn't you like to fix that?

> This is a
> trivial patch and I hope I can be applied right away without special
> requirements (a bug was checked into trunk and this fixes it, plus it
> adds one more class that nobody can be using yet, so it can't make
> things worse)

Fixing a bug without adding a test makes things slightly better, but
fixing a bug *and* adding a test makes things much better. It'd be
nice if you could help out by writing a test, even though it doesn't
currently exist. However, even without that, yes, the bugfix will be
made. Thanks for reporting it.

However, committing a new untested API to trunk makes things overall
potentially worse not better, as it increases the likelihood of bugs
being added unnoticed. Yes, I've been guilty of doing this, but it's
not a _good_ thing.

James