[Twisted-web] XML-RPC: Failure vs. Fault

Diwaker Gupta diwaker.lists at gmail.com
Thu Feb 16 22:55:34 MST 2006

I'm trying to build up some XML-RPC based services. I was reading
through the documentation [1] where its mentioned that xmlrpc_foo()
functions in the server can return Failure objects to indicate errors.

The XML-RPC spec uses a slightly different terminology of Faults. The
xmlrpclib in Python's standard library also talks about being able to
return Fault objects in case of errors.

I was wondering how this is dealt with in Twisted. Fault objects have
explicit faultCode and faultString parameters. I couldn't determine if
and how these map to attributes of a Failure object.

[1] http://twistedmatrix.com/projects/web/documentation/howto/xmlrpc.html

TIA,
Diwaker
--