[Twisted-web] [Nevow] template performance

Manlio Perillo manlio_perillo at libero.it
Fri Dec 15 12:34:53 CST 2006

L. Daniel Burr ha scritto:
> [...]
>
>> I will migrate to twisted web2 + django template, where I can write:

>>        <caption>RandomTable</caption>
>>        <thead>
>>            {% for i in header %}
>>              <th>{{ i }}</li>
>>            {% endfor %}
>>        </thead>
>>        <tbody>
>>          {% for i in table %}
>>              {% for j in i %}
>>              {% endfor %}
>>          {% endfor %}
>>        </tbody>
>>

> I will note that this is most definitely *not* XHTML, so your
> statement "...want to write XHTML code as much as possible."
> doesn't make sense.  The nevow template would probably pass
> XHTML validation, but this Django template surely won't, so
> I don't understand your point.

The point is that in the template it should be "visible" the XHTML that
will result.

As an example, this code:

           <ul nevow:pattern="sums-container">
	    <nevow:slot name="elements" />
	  </ul>
	  <li nevow:pattern="sums-element">
	    <nevow:slot name="date" />
	    <nevow:slot name="value" />
	  </li>

  	  <ul nevow:pattern="methods-container">
  	    <nevow:slot name="elements" />
  	  </ul>
  	  <li nevow:pattern="methods-element">
  	    <nevow:slot name="method" />
  	    <nevow:slot name="value" />
  	  </li>

  	    Wallclock duration totals (seconds)
  	    <nevow:invisible nevow:render="totalWallClock" />

give me no clue on how the renderized page will look.

> Moreover, you've embedded iteration logic in the Django
> template, so if some idea of "XHTML purity" is driving you,
> the the Django approach, while faster, is less pure.

Nevow has a better solution: the sequence renderer.
But it will go away.

 > [...]
>
> The most important thing is to stop thinking in terms
> of data types (render="sequence", render="string"),
> and just write render methods that deal with app-level
> concepts (headers, rows).
>
> An important point to make here, is that the code I
> provided above is based on the same code used to
> implement the "sequence" directive, so there is really
> nothing magical going on.

Ok, but what about reusability?
Now for every table (in theory) I have to reimplement the sequence logic.

Well, I'm sure that it is possible to write generic/reusable code for
rendering tables.

 > Hope this helps,

Yes, thanks.
I will try to use slots instead of data.

P.S.
How tested/stable is the new(?) page module?

Regards  Manlio Perillo