[Twisted-web] Nevow future

Jean-Paul Calderone exarkun at divmod.com
Tue Apr 11 14:17:31 CDT 2006

On Tue, 11 Apr 2006 14:12:36 -0200, Manlio Perillo <manlio_perillo at libero.it> wrote:
>Hi.
>
>I have used Nevow a bit, when it was at 0.4 version.
>Now there seems to be a lot of changes, moreover twisted.web2 appears.

Actually, quite a lot has remained the same as well.  Many of the core concepts remain the same, many of the APIs remain unchanged, many programs which ran with Nevow 0.4 will continue to run unchanged with 0.8.  However, do notice the "0" at the beginning of these version numbers.  That means "this software is not yet complete, expect some changes".  When there is a 1.x release, you can begin to expect things to stop changing as much.

>What are the plane in the middle term for Nevow?
>
>It will closely integrate with twisted.web2?

That's one possibility.

>It will remain indipendent from the underlying web server?

It isn't independent from the underlying web server now, so saying that it would remain that way doesn't make sense.

Your Nevow applications should remain independent of it, though.

>Now Nevow is realy only usable with twisted.web.

Yes.

>Reverse Proxy is not an option for me (*why* to use two or more
>webservers and duplicate HTTP protocol handling?).

Because it solves a problem?  Why *not* do this?

>Zonme is really safe to use?

Who knows?  Remember, Nevow comes with no guarantees.  Personally, I wouldn't use it.

>Why there is not support for FastCGI (so I can use lighttp)?

Because no one has implemented it.  Feel free to contribute a FastCGI implementation, if you like.  Efforts might better be spent finishing twisted.web2 (this includes writing documentation, test cases, examples, etc, not just coding) or figuring out how best to port Nevow to web2, since web2 supports FastCGI already.

Jean-Paul